E-mail me at hamintheturlet@gmail.com

Blog Archive

Monday, August 6, 2007

Here are some words from my friend, Nancy, who has been helping this project out a lot.
I asked her to write something for me to post, since I figure people might get annoyed, or bored with listening to me blab all of the time..


As soon as I heard about the Iraq Names Project, I knew that I should help.
I was so glad that Willie adopted the idea that the people in Portland had.
Willie's writing of the names was beautiful, and it was enjoyable to color them
in, even it was usually hot and even if sometimes we did it in the rain under-
neath the awnings.

The first really great thing that happened while I was there took place at the
Morgan House. Someone came out and asked what we were doing. I was
afraid that she would go back in and get her boss, but instead she praised
us to her customers, and when they came out of the restaurants they would
thank us.

Another day a woman asked what we were doing, I told her that we were
memorializing the American soldiers who had died in Iraq. She nodded and
walked on, but her husband stopped, bent down and hugged me. Later I found
out that he had explained to Willie that he had left six platoon members behind
in Vietnam. He said, "Nobody ever did anything like this for us; you don't know
what it means to me.

One man put a twenty-doller bill in each of our chalk boxes. Bonita was there
too, so that was $60 he took out of his wallet to encourage us. I gave Willie mine,
and he ended up giving it to a homeless person.

The next night, we were almost arrested. We have a meeting with Councilman
Flanders today to see whether we will actually need to go tot the Council meeting
tonight to request the petition. We need to know the details of the agreement we
will have with the city. Nancy Hendrix, Ph.D.


Thanks, Nancy.

We'll be sure to keep everyone posted and let you all know how the meeting with Councilman Flanders goes, and if we need to attend the City Council meeting.

No comments: