E-mail me at hamintheturlet@gmail.com

Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Letter to Michael Flanders, Ft. Myers City Councilman, Regarding the Chalk Project

To: councilmanflanders@cityfm.com
Subject: The Iraq Names Project Southeast


Good morning, Mr. Flanders.

My name is Willie Filkowski, and I just called your office a few minutes ago.
I though I'd put a request in, in writing as well as one on the phone.

I'm contacting you to find out some information about the process of
getting permission for community art projects from the city council.

I have started a project called The Iraq Names Project Southeast,
which came to a screeching halt yesterday.

The project is designed to honor the fallen troops of our war in Iraq.
In chalk, on the sidewalks I've been writing the last names of the
fallen, in chronological order of their date of death, beginning with
the first day of the war. I started a few weeks ago under the flagpole
in Centennial Park, and have worked my way to the Federal Building,
downtown.

Yesterday, someone called the police on us, ten minutes into the day's
work on the project, and we were very respectfully asked to leave by
the police.

Given the meaning of the project, before I started, the thought of
having to get permission was not one that crossed my mind. I was
expressing myself in a way, but more importantly, bringing attention,
honor, and a memorial to over 3,800 Coalition casualties. I feel as
though they are done no justice on the news when you hear a quick
sound bit of what the casualty count is up to. I want people to walk
by the project and realize that behind that collective number, "over
3,800" there are names, real people. There are people with families,
kids, a husband, a wife, mom, dad, and a community that felt the loss
with their passing.

I wonder if you could help me figure out the correct way to gain
permission from City Council to continue with my project, and keep
honoring those who risked their lives at the request of their
government, and paid the ultimate price.

I've been given suggestions to go a council meeting, and request
permission to continue. As I'm 15, and am not so well versed in local
civics, I wonder if you, my city council representative could point me
in the right direction.

Thank you for your help,


Willie Filkowski
7.31.07

No comments: